Access ‘Reading Cloud’, our 24/7 online Library Catalogue and Management System, through the LRC ONLINE button at the top right of the School Website Home Page.
09:30-16:00 Monday to Friday
16:00-18:00 Daily for Senior School Prep
The LRC, which includes the library, is housed on the first floor of the Burge Building, offering a warm welcome to all pupils from Years 5 to 13, staff and governors.
The LRC provides a quiet environment in which to read, study, complete and print homework, carry out independent research, choose and recommend books, or to ask for advice.
Pupils from Years 5 and 6 are able to visit every morning break and during their lunch break on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, borrowing up to 5 resources at a time for up to 21 days. Senior School Pupils are able to visit daily at break, lunchtimes and during Prep and may borrow up to 5 resources for up to 21 days. Sixth Formers are encouraged to use the LRC at any time during opening hours when they are not being formally taught, during non-contact time. Pupils may also visit the LRC with their teachers during class time for research, independent study, or to encourage the simple joy of reading for pleasure.
The LRC aims to:
- Provide a pleasant, welcoming and flexible study area with ample space and opportunities for independent learning.
- Ensure pupils are fully equipped to find the information they need to support and enhance their studies and personal interests, working closely with subject departments to enhance and support the whole curriculum.
- Support pupils to become confident, independent learners and to support them in their research and personal development skills.
- Promote and facilitate reading for pleasure.
- Ensure our resources are relevant, up to date and accessible, encouraging requests from pupils and staff for their recommended books and resources (within available budget).
The LRC Offers:
- 42 study spaces, 10 with Chromebooks
- Printing and scanning facilities
- A reading corner equipped with comfortable chairs
- A well-stocked library of classic, contemporary and award-winning fiction, poetry and short stories for junior, teenage and adult readers
- A range of non-fiction, textbooks and background reading material to support the curriculum
- Reference and fact books; dictionaries and encyclopaedias
- A variety of DVDs available for loan
- A range of subscribed academic and educational magazines and journals – something for everyone from 8 year olds to adults
- An extensive collection of subscription based e-resources to support the curriculum, independent research and personal development
Online Library Catalogue and Management System
As part of their induction to the School, all pupils, staff and governors are enrolled and provided with login details to our user-friendly ‘Reading Cloud’ library management system. This can be accessed remotely on any mobile device using the LRC ONLINE button at the top of the School Website Home Page. The catalogue can be searched without logging in, but once logged in, borrowers can:
- Access their personal borrower account to:
- check their previous and current loans
- extend loans (unless overdue or reserved by another borrower)
- submit reviews on books they have read (which may be published on the library management system home page)
- find out more about and choose from reading lists allocated to them personally, or to their forms/year groups (e.g. KS3 Award: Independent Reading; Sixth Form Post-2000 Prose; other recommended reading)
- Access to our engaging online library, with information on all our books, journals, publications, audio-visual and web-based resources, using basic or advanced search functions. Searches can be broad by subject, or narrowed by author/title/media type. We encourage the School community to try the ISBN search to check if we have a copy of a book, before buying it in store or online. Search results will also display current availability, the location of the resource and where relevant, the option to reserve or review the resource.
- ‘Reading Cloud’ Home Page – the Help button on the top right of the screen is a good place to start. Features on this page include:
- Book of the Week
- News (messages from the LRC)
- Borrower Reviews
- Top Ten Resources
- Latest Returns
- New Resources
- Featured Authors – randomised focus on a single Author and includes a link to fantastic ‘Meet the Author’ videos, where authors talk about their books and/or route to writing in their own words.
- Reading Lists assigned to borrowers are also accessible from the Home Page top menu (next to Profile and Account).
The system can support Borrowers’ reading journeys, with ‘Suggested’ offering ideas based on their previous loans or authors liked on the system, or by clicking randomly on ‘Trending’, popular resources used at Rougemont or across the Reading Cloud community.